Hall Application Information for Residential Year 2020/21 (New Non-Local UG Students)
Hall Application Period: 6 July 2020 - 20 July 2020
Hall Application Period: 10 August 2020 - 19 August 2020 (for JEE applicant)
COVID-19 pandemic and latest hall measures as of 6 August 2020
While the number of confirmed cases is still fluctuating and the situation in and outside Hong Kong is unpredictable, we would like to reassure all members that your health and safety is of the highest priority. As such, the following hall operations will be adopted:
- Both UG Hall VIII and IX will be set aside for contingency use throughout the Residential Year 2020/21;
- Subject to the latest situation of COVID-19, both hall transfer and room swapping would be suspended during the RY2020/21 until further notice;
- Guest Pass will be suspended until further notice;
- As the University will adopt online teaching mode in Fall 2020, successful applicant could opt the Hall Offer from “Full Year of RY2020/21 (from 24th August 2020 to 3rd June 2021, both nights inclusive)” to “Spring Term 2021 ONLY (from 25th January 2021 to 3rd June 2021, both nights inclusive)”. Firstly, you have to accept your hall offer in the Hall System. Please read the details below. After that, you are required to indicate your decision on either “Full Year Offer of RY2020/21” or “Spring Term 2021” by filling out the online form. If no response from you, we assume you opt “Full Year Offer of RY2020/21” and a hall place will be assigned to you starting from 24th August 2020 or 4 September 2020 (for JEE applicant); and
- According to the UG Student Hall Policy, non-local undergraduates, (i.e. those holding student visas / entry permits to study in HKUST), are provided with on-campus accommodation in their 1st year of study in HKUST and University managed accommodation in their 2nd year of study in HKUST.
Since the application of UG Student Housing is on a “year” basis, UG students may not be able to apply for student hall if they come back in Winter or Spring. Also, priority housing period for UG students (ie. the first two-year since admission) will not be extended. All leaves of absence (e.g. exchange, internship, leave of study, etc.) will be counted towards their first two-year of study.
Please also note that non-local UGs are NOT guaranteed University housing starting in their 3rd year of study, and they are advised to plan ahead to arrange off-campus accommodation. They may still apply for on-campus accommodation but spaces are extremely limited and allocated according to a weighted lot drawing system or to those who participate in certain group of activities.
Non-local undergraduates, i.e. those holding student visas / entry permits to study in HKUST, are provided with on-campus accommodation in their 1st year of study in HKUST whereas University provides accommodation in their 2nd year of study in HKUST. All leaves of absence (e.g. exchange, internship, leave of study, etc.) will be counted towards their first 2 years of study. Priority housing no longer applies after 2 years since admission to HKUST. Accommodation will be offered only if they submit their applications AND complete all required procedures by the deadlines which will be announced at later stage.
Non-local undergraduates are NOT guaranteed University housing starting in their 3rd year of study, and they are advised to plan ahead to arrange off-campus accommodation. They should expect to pay HK$6,000 to $7,000 per month to cover their accommodation costs. They may still apply for on-campus accommodation but spaces are extremely limited and allocated according to a weighted lot drawing system or to those who participate in certain group activities. Students may contact the University’s Off-Campus Housing Section for support in sourcing for off-campus accommodation in the private market.
Full residential year will be offered to successful hall applicants. Hall offers will be adjusted to 1-term hall residence (i.e. Fall / Spring Term ONLY) subject to students' registration status and eligibility for student accommodation or upon request. Successful applicants who receive a full residential year hall offer but wish to take up only 1-term hall residence may write to firstname.lastname@example.org to request for such adjustment AFTER accepting the hall offer.
|Residential Terms||Periods (both nights inclusive)|
|Full Residential Year 2020/21||24 August 2020 - 3 June 2021|
|Fall Residential Year 2020/21 (for JEE applicant)||4 September 2020 - 3 June 2021|
Students are required to arrange other sources of accommodation on their own before and after the offered hall residence. Requests for early check-in or late check-out will not be entertained.
|Online Hall Application*||
6 July 2020 - 20 July 2020
10 August 2020 - 19 August 2020 (for JEE applicant)
|Release of Hall Application Results||
29 July 2020
25 August 2020 (for JEE applicant)
|Online Acceptance of Hall Offer#||
30 July 2020 - 2 August 2020
26 August 2020 - 28 August 2020 (for JEE applicant)
|Payment of Hall Charges@||To be confirmed|
* Application Period
8am, 6 July 2020 - 11:59pm, 20 July 2020 (HK Time)
8am, 10 August 2020 - 11:59pm, 19 August 2020 (HK Time) [for JEE applicant]
[for request in change of submitted information, write to email@example.com within the application period; requests are subject to approval]
# Hall Offer Acceptance Period
8am, 30 July 2020 - 11:59pm, 2 August 2020 (HK Time)
8am, 26 August 2020 - 11:59pm, 28 August 2020 (HK Time) [for JEE applicant]
@ The University is currently reviewing the payment arrangements and detailed information would be included in the offer letters which would be sent to successful applicants.
https://www.ab.ust.hk/applyhall > "Click here to submit application for Regular Residential Year"
Students who fail to submit the hall application within this application period will NOT be considered for student accommodation for the ENTIRE Residential Year 2020/21.
Applicants who receive a hall offer will receive a system generated hall offer acceptance notification email the day after the Hall Offer Letters are sent and they are required to follow instructions to confirm their acceptance of offer online within 4 days. Failure to complete the online acceptance by the deadline will result in cancellation of hall offer without further notification.
Hall Application Results will be announced on late July / August 2020 and such result will be sent to applicants' HKUST ITSC email addresses (and their personal email accounts as indicated in their hall applications if their HKUST ITSC email is not available yet).
It is the responsibility of the applicants to check with the Student Housing and Residential Life Office either in person or write to firstname.lastname@example.org if they do not receive any notifications by late July / August 2020.
The hall charges for the entire Residential Year 2020/21 for New Non-Local UG students are listed below for reference.
|Room Type||Available In||Charge (HK$)|
|Double Room||UG Halls I, II, III, IV, VI||19,901|
|UG Halls VII, VIII, IX||24,677|
|Triple Room||UG Halls II, III, IV, VI||14,953|
|Bunk Bed Room||UG Hall V||16,569|
- Hall charges listed excludes air-conditioning and laundry charges; the charges listed covers the period from 24 August 2020 to 3 June 2021. Room type(s) available depends on the hall allocated to successful applicants under the mechanism in the hall policy; there are no room type selection / preferences in the hall application.
- Hall fee for full residential year will be charged in 2 installments; charge for each term / installment are calculated on pro-rata basis.
- Hall charges must be paid in FULL and are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- The University is currently reviewing the payment arrangement for students. Detailed payment methods and the payment schedule would be announced in due course.
- Students with financial difficulty may apply for payment deferment to the Scholarships and Financial Aid Office.
Applicants may indicate a maximum of 3 hall preferences in the housing application. Applicants may refer to the policy or the illustration below on the hall allocation mechanism.
Details of room and room type will be allocated to successful applicants after the application results are announced.