Hall Application Information for Residential Year 2021-22 (New Non-Local UG Students)
Hall Application Period: 2 July 2021 - 15 July 2021
Important Notes on Hall Measures in Residential Year 2021-22
In view of the current pandemic situation, the following arrangements will be applied to Residential Year 2021-22 in consideration of the current health and safety measures in 2020-21 and the relevant pandemic circumstances. Hall applicants should take note of these measures adopted for Residential Year 2021-22 before submitting an application.
- Both Hall Transfer and Room Swapping will be suspended;
- Guest Pass will be suspended;
- According to the UG Hall Admission Policy, non-local students are provided with student housing only in their first two years of study at HKUST. The offer of hall residence to New Non-local UG Students WILL NOT be carried forward to the following year(s).
- No student halls are used for self-quarantine purposes. Students who are required to undergo compulsory quarantine as required by the HK government MUST make their own quarantine arrangement to complete the self-quarantine before checking into on-campus accommodation for the entire Residential 2021-22. Upon check-in, students will be required to present relevant documents such as passport, flight/train tickets, and quarantine orders issued by the Department of Health for our verification. Failure to do the above may delay your check-in procedures. FAQs on COVID-19 housing arrangement can be found here.
- Therapy dog trainees are currently residing in UG Hall VII and UG Hall IX. Successful hall applicants should take note of this when accepting their hall residence offer.
Hall Allocation for new non-local UGs
According to the UG Student Hall Policy, non-local undergraduates, (i.e. those holding student visas / entry permits to study in HKUST), are provided with on-campus accommodation in their 1st year of study in HKUST and University managed accommodation in their 2nd year of study in HKUST.
Since the application of UG Student Housing is on a “yearly” basis, UG students will not be able to apply for student hall if they come back in Winter or Spring. Also, priority housing period for UG students (the first two years since admission) will not be extended. All leaves of absence (e.g. exchange, internship, leave of study, etc.) will be counted towards their first two years of study.
IMPORTANT: Non-local UGs are NOT guaranteed with University housing starting in their 3rd year of study. Students are advised to plan ahead for their accommodation arrangements.
Full residential year will be offered to successful hall applicants of new non-local undergraduates. Hall offers will be adjusted subject to students' registration status, i.e. eligibility for student accommodation or whenever deemed necessary. Successful applicants who receive a full residential year hall offer but wish to take up only 1-term hall residence may write to email@example.com to request for such adjustment AFTER accepting the hall offer.
|Residential Terms||Periods (both nights inclusive)|
|Full Residential Year 2021-22 (for new non-locals)||17 August 2021 - 3 June 2022|
Students are required to arrange other sources of accommodation on their own before and after the offered hall residential period. Requests for early check-in or late check-out will NOT be entertained.
|Online Hall Application*||2 July 2021 - 15 July 2021|
|Release of Hall Application Results||Late July or early August 2021|
|Online Acceptance of Hall Offer||Late July or early August 2021|
|Release of Room Assignment Results & Payment of Hall Charges||August 2021|
* Application Period
8:00am, 2 July 2021 - 11:59pm, 15 July 2021 (HK Time)
No changes made to the submitted information will be considered after the application period.
Click here to submit application for Regular Residential Year > https://www.ab.ust.hk/applyhall
Students who fail to submit the hall application within the specified application period will NOT be considered for student accommodation for the entire Residential Year 2021-22.
Successful hall applicants will receive a system-generated hall offer acceptance notification email one day after the Hall Offer Letters are sent. They are required to follow instructions to confirm their acceptance of offer online within 3 calendars days. Failure to complete the online acceptance by the deadline will result in cancellation of hall offer without further notification.
Hall Application Results will be announced in late July or early August 2021 via applicants' HKUST ITSC email addresses (or their personal email accounts as indicated in their hall applications only when their HKUST ITSC email is not available yet).
It is the responsibility of the applicants to check with the Student Housing and Residential Life Office either in person or by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org if they do not receive any notifications by early August 2021.
The hall charges for the entire Residential Year 2021-22 for New Non-Local UG students are listed below for reference.
|Room Type||Available In||Charge (HK$)|
|Double Room||UG Halls I, II, III, IV, VI||21,183|
|UG Halls VII, VIII, IX||26,301|
|Triple Room||UG Halls II, III, IV, VI||15,925|
|Bunk Bed Room||UG Hall V||17,651|
- Hall charges listed exclude air-conditioning and laundry charges; the charges listed covers the period from 17 August 2021 to 3 June 2022. Room type(s) available depends on the hall allocated to successful applicants under the mechanism in the hall policy; there are no room type selection / preferences in the hall application.
- Hall fee for full residential year will be charged in 2 installments; charge for each term / installment are calculated on pro-rata basis.
- Hall charges are on Term basis and must be paid in FULL. Any hall fee paid are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Students with financial difficulty may submit application for payment deferment to the Scholarships and Financial Aid Office.
Applicants may indicate a maximum of 3 hall preferences in the housing application. Applicants may refer to the policy or the illustration below on the hall allocation mechanism. Please go to Q2 of the FAQ section to find out more information about the handling of hall preferences in Residential Year 2021-22.
Please note that Therapy Dog trainees are currently residing in UG Hall VII and UG Hall IX. Applicants should take note of this when indicating their hall preferences. (NOTE: UG Hall IX will be reserved for emergent use in Fall 2021 until further notice)
Details of room and room type will be sent to successful applicants in August 2021 after they have accepted the hall offer.
IIf students wish to consider self-arranged off-campus accommodation near HKUST campus, they should expect to pay HK$6,000 to $7,000 per month. Students may contact the University’s Off-Campus Housing Section for support in sourcing for off-campus accommodation in the private market. If students wish to explore more about renting a place outside the campus, click here for our tips on rental.
Information on off-campus accommodation is also available online.