Hall Application Information for Residential Year 2021-22 (Continuing UG Students)
Hall Application Period: 30 March - 12 April 2021
Important Notes on Hall Measures in Residential Year 2021-22 (last update: 16 March 2021)
In view of the current pandemic situation, the following arrangements will be made in Residential Year 2021-22 in consideration of the current health and safety measures in 2020-21 and the relevant pandemic circumstances. Hall applicants should take note of these measures adopted for Residential Year 2021-22 before submitting an application.
- UG Hall IX will continue to be reserved for emergent use until further notice;
- Double occupancy will continue to be adopted in all halls available;
- Both Hall Transfer and Room Swapping will be suspended;
- Guest Pass will be suspended;
- Successful hall applicants in Residential Year 2021-22 who are current residents in Spring 2021 are likely to be allocated to their current bedspace subject to availability.
- No student halls are used for self-quarantine purposes. Students who are required to undergo compulsory quarantine as required by the HK government MUST make their own quarantine arrangement to complete the self-quarantine before checking into on-campus accommodation for the entire Residential 2021-22. Upon check-in, students will be required to present relevant documents such as passport, flight/train tickets, and quarantine orders issued by the Department of Health for our verification. Failure to do the above may delay your check-in procedures. FAQs on COVID-19 housing arrangement can be found here.
MORE POINTS TO NOTE:
- Application for student housing in 2021-22 is only accepted once a year. Students who wish to apply for shorter periods in 2021-22 (i.e. 1-term housing in either Fall or Spring instead of full residential year) or have unconfirmed plans yet should consider submitting the application within the application period.
- Applications are not on first-come-first-served basis; all applications received within the application period will be processed together.
- Online system for applications and acceptance of hall offers is closed automatically by the deadline. Late submission of applications / late acceptance of hall offers will not be considered. Only submissions successfully recorded in the online system will be considered and processed.
- Upon successful submission of application / acceptance form via the online system, an acknowledgement email will be sent to the email address(es) provided by the applicant. They should make sure they check their mailbox including the spam and junk mail folder for the acknowledgement email. Students who do not receive an acknowledgement email may consider that their submission as NOT successful and should submit another application again before the application deadline.
- After submitting the application / acceptance forms, the information on the online system cannot be changed. If any additional information or clarifications are crucial, applicants should write to email@example.com before the application deadline. No requests of revision on submitted information will be considered.
- All information provided in the application must be true and accurate. Provision false or inaccurate information will lead to disqualification and cancellation of the hall applications and recovery of hall place. Serious offences might be subject to further disciplinary actions.
Full residential year hall offers are to be offered to successful applicants. Hall offers will be adjusted to 1-term hall residence (i.e. Fall / Spring Term ONLY) subject to students' eligibility for student accommodation (e.g. exchange-out, leave of study) or whenever deemed necessary. Successful applicants who receive a full residential year hall offer but wish to take up only 1-term hall residence must write to firstname.lastname@example.org to request for such adjustment AFTER accepting the hall offer.
|Residential Terms||Periods (both nights inclusive)|
|Full Residential Year 2021-22||28 August 2021 - 3 June 2022|
|Fall Term 2021||28 August 2021 - 11 January 2022|
|Spring Term 2022||24 January 2022 - 3 June 2022|
Students are required to arrange other sources of accommodation on their own before and after the offered hall residential period. Early check-in or late check-out will NOT be entertained.
|Online Hall Application*||30 March 2021 - 12 April 2021|
|Appeal on Weightings of University Housing Lottery^||Late April 2021|
|Release of Hall Application Results||Around mid-May 2021|
Online Acceptance of Hall Offer (1st Batch of Main Round Offers)
|Around mid-May 2021|
Submission of Required Proof# (1st Batch of Main Round Offers)
|To be confirmed|
|Release of Room Assignment Results & Payment of Hall Charges||Early August 2021|
|Check-in Date||10am, 28 August 2021|
12nn, 4 June 2022
* Application Period
8:00a.m., 30 March 2021 - 11:59p.m., 12 April 2021 (HK Time)
^ According to the home address indicated in the application, local applicants will be informed of their assigned weightings in the university housing lottery by email. If they have doubts on the assigned weighting, they may follow the appeal procedures as stated in the email to make an appeal within the specified period. Home address and the lottery weighting of individual applications will then be further verified.
# Successful applicants may be required to submit proof upon request of SHRLO for verification of the reported information in their application within two calendar days. The arrangements and requirements will be stated in the hall offer letter. Failure to submit the required proof within the specified timeline or the proof cannot be verified by SHRLO will result in cancellation of the hall applications and associated hall offers.
Click here to submit application for Regular Residential Year > https://www.ab.ust.hk/applyhall
Students who fail to submit the hall application within the specified application period will NOT be considered for student accommodation for the entire Residential Year 2021-22, including housing quota allocated for eligible groups.
Successful hall applicants will receive a system-generated hall offer acceptance notification email one day after the Hall Offer Letters are sent. They are required to follow instructions to confirm their acceptance of hall offer online within 3 calendars days. Failure to complete the online acceptance by the deadline will result in cancellation of hall offer without further notification.
Important Note to Non-Local Continuing Students:
Non-local UGs are NOT guaranteed with University housing starting in their 3rd year of study. Students are advised to plan ahead for their accommodation arrangements. If they are interested in living outside of HKUST campus, they may approach the Off-Campus Housing Section of the Student Housing and Residential Life Office at email@example.com for assistance. Information on off-campus accommodation is also available online.
They may still apply for on-campus accommodation but spaces are extremely limited and allocated according to a weighted lot drawing system or to those who participate in certain group activities.
Note to Students who Are Currently/ who Plan to be On Leave of Study / On Exchange:
Students who wish to apply for student accommodation for the Residential Year 2021-22 are required to submit a hall application within the specified application period regardless of their registration status during the application period. Late applications will not be considered. Students with unconfirmed leave / exchange plan in Year 2021-22 are required to submit a hall application within this application period as there will NOT be additional round of hall applications.
Applicants who are not offered under the Priority Stream will receive weightings in the University Housing lottery. Announcement of assigned weighting will be made as soon as the supporting documents of the application has passed the preliminary vetting. However, further adjustments may still be made to the announced weightings if the reported home addresses cannot be verified.
Students who wish to make an appeal to the weighting for University Housing can submit requests in writing within 2 calendar days from the date the applicants are notified.
Any discrepancies on weightings assigned for the lottery will NOT be considered after the appeal period. Such weighting will be considered to be final for this hall application regardless of any updates of traveling time from the HKeMobility.
1st Batch of Main Round Hall Application Results (e.g. hall offers for successful applicants under Priority Housing/University Housing Lottery, notifications for waitlisted / rejected applicants, etc.) will be announced in around mid-May 2021. Results will be sent to applicants' HKUST ITSC email addresses.
It is the responsibility of the applicants to check with the Student Housing and Residential Life Office either in person or by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org if they do not receive any notifications by late May 2021.
According to the UG Hall Allocation Policy, hall places allocated to successful applicants based on the University Housing Lottery is determined by the weightings they received according to the applicants ’home addresses. As such, some students are required to submit documentary proof(s) to substantiate their claim on home address.
Applicants should refer to the details on the University Housing Lottery (e.g. travelling time and the corresponding number of weightings & determination methods of home travelling time) in the UG Hall Allocation Policy before submitting an application.
Applicants will be required to submit documentary proof(s) as stated in their hall offer letters. Failure to submit the required proof before the deadline will result in cancellation of enhanced weightings or hall offer without prior notification.
Applicants are reminded that provision of false / inaccurate information will lead to disqualification and cancellation of the hall applications and associated offers (including subsequent hall applications).
Applicants who are verified as non-local UG students (according to the records at the Academic Registry) are not required to submit an address proof.
Local Applicants with an Address in Hong Kong
Applicants under this category may be requested to submit relevant address proof to substantiate the home address of the applicant and his/her parents. Some examples of the documents required are:
- Rate Receipts
- Tenancy Agreement of Public Housing
- Stamped Tenancy Agreement for Rented Apartment
- Utility Bills
- Proof of Relationship between student and his/her parent (e.g. birth certificate)
List of standard documents required for submission will be detailed in the hall offer letters to successful applicants. Applicants should note that any submitted documents may be further reviewed by the UG Hall Selection Committee. Applicants may be asked to submit supplementary documents by a stipulated deadline. Applications will be rejected if applicants fail to provide proofs as required.
Applicants should contact the Officers of the Student Housing and Residential Life Office in case of doubts.
The Student Housing and Residential Life Office works with Schools, Offices and the HKUST Students’ Union Council on the hall allocated for nominated students from eligible groups. Eligible groups will receive detailed information on the terms and arrangements from SHRLO for submitting nomination list in around April to May 2021. Upon submission of nomination lists, successful nominated hall applicants* will receive hall offers in around mid to late June 2021.
* Nominations are only valid for hall applicants who successfully submitted the hall application within the hall application period.
Applicants who are not offered a hall place in the 1st batch of main round offer and are in situations demonstrating exceptional hardships may apply to the Residence Masters’ Discretionary Committee for special consideration. Applicants should write to email@example.com with detailed description of their circumstances and provide supporting documents if applicable. Cases will be reviewed by the Residence Masters’ Discretionary Committee on a case-by-case basis.
The hall charges for the Residential Year 2021-22 for Continuing UG students will be available soon. The table below lists the hall charges for Residential Year 2020-21 for reference. Applicants should expect an approximately 5% increase on hall fees in 2021-22.
|Room Type||Available In||Charge (HK$)|
|Local Students||Non-Local Students|
|Double Room||UG Halls I, II, III, IV, VI||15,290||19,120|
|UG Halls VII, VIII, IX||18,970||23,720|
|Jockey Club Hall||20,290||25,370|
|Triple Room||UG Halls II, III, IV, VI||11,490||14,370|
|Bunk Bed Room||UG Hall V||12,730||15,920|
|Single Room||UG Hall VII||25,530||31,920|
|UG Halls VIII, IX||28,100||35,130|
- Hall charges listed exclude air-conditioning and laundry charges. Room type(s) available depends on the hall allocated to successful applicants under the mechanism in the hall policy; there are no room type selection / preferences in the hall application.
- Hall fee for full residential year will be charged in 2 installments; charge for each term / installment are calculated on pro-rata basis.
- Hall charges are on Term basis and must be paid in FULL. Any hall fee paid are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Students with financial difficulty may submit application for payment deferment to the Scholarships and Financial Aid Office.
In view of the current pandemic situation, successful hall applicants in Residential Year 2021-22 who are current residents in Spring 2021 are likely to be allocated to their current bedspace subject to availability.
Applicants may indicate a maximum of 3 hall preferences in the housing application. Applicants may refer to the policy or the illustration below on the hall allocation mechanism. Please go to Q2 of the FAQ section to find out more information about the handling of hall preferences in Residential Year 2021-22.
Please note that Therapy Dog trainees are currently residing in UG Hall VII and UG Hall IX. Applicants should take note of this when indicating their hall preferences. (NOTE: UG Hall IX will be reserved for emergent use in Fall 2021 until further notice)
Details of room and room type will be sent to successful applicants in August 2021 after they have accepted the hall offer.
Eligible hall applicants who do not receive a hall offer for the Residential Year 2021-22 in the 1st batch of main round offers will be placed on the waiting list. Waiting list ranking is available here and will be updated after each round of top-up exercise.
General admission procedures (e.g. acceptance of hall offer) still apply and are required to be completed by the applicants receiving top-up offers within the specified period as indicated in the hall offer letters. Schedules of procedures of receiving top-up offers differ from the schedule announced above and the successful applicants will be informed individually.
Failure in completing in any of the required procedures within deadlines shall result in cancellation of hall offers.
Waitlisted applicants should be prepared for not getting any hall offers and are advised to plan ahead for their accommodation arrangements.
If students wish to consider self-arranged off-campus accommodation near HKUST campus, they should expect to pay HK$6,000 to $7,000 per month. They may approach the Off-Campus Housing Section of the Student Housing and Residential Life Office at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance in sourcing for off-campus accommodation in the private market. If students wish to explore more about renting a place outside the campus, click here for our tips on rental.
Information on off-campus accommodation is also available online.