Hall Application Information for Summer Residence 2020 (Continuing UG Students)
Hall Application Period: To be confirmed
POINTS TO NOTE:
- Provision of false / inaccurate information may lead to disqualification and cancellation of the hall applications and associated offers and further disciplinary actions.
- Applications are not on first-come-first-served basis; all applications received during the application period are processed together.
- Online system for applications and acceptance of hall offers shuts down sharply after deadline; any actions on submission of application / acceptance form could not be recorded by the system after the system shuts down even the student logged-in to the system before the deadline.
- Only application / acceptance forms successfully recorded in the online system will be considered and processed.
- Upon successful submission of application / acceptance form in the online system, an acknowledgement email will be sent to the email address(es) provided by the applicant; those who do not receive an acknowledgement email may consider submission of form NOT successful (e.g. late submission, etc.).
- Hall Attendants may clear all personal belongings of those who do not check-out by the end of the residential period; neither the University nor the Hall Management will be responsible for any loss or damage of personal properties arising from such action. Penalties will be levied on the residents who fail to check-out by 12noon on 16 August 2020 and their hall offers for 2020/21 may be recovered.
All FULL-TIME REGISTERED Continuing UG students of the University are eligible to apply for student accommodation in Summer 2020.
Hall offer becomes null and void once a student ceases to be a full-time registered student, and it is the student’s responsibility to inform the Student Housing and Residential Life Office in writing and vacate from the student accommodation immediately.
Incoming exchange students in Spring 2020 are not eligible to apply for Summer Residence 2020 unless with the certification from the School of study at HKUST that the exchange period of the student is extended beyond Spring Term 2020.
The room types in each student hall earmarked for Summer Residence 2020 are as follows:
|UG HALL||Double Room||Triple Room|
* Toilets and bathrooms in Double Rooms in UG Halls VII, VIII and IX are shared by 4 residents
More about individual halls, please click here.
Not the entire building listed above is available for Summer Residence 2020. Some floors / rooms may be blocked for renovation and maintenance / earmarked for guest accommodation. Availability of UG Halls, floors, room types and rooms are subject to further confirmation and adjustment due to possible unexpected renovation, repair and maintenance works during the summer.
Residential Period for Applicants WITH Spring 2020 Residence Ending After 3 June 2020
|Residential Period||Periods (both nights inclusive)|
|Full Stay||4 June 2020 - 15 August 2020|
|Short Stay #||4 June 2020 - last night as indicated by applicant in application|
Residential Period for Applicants WITHOUT Spring 2020 Residence
|Residential Period||Periods (both nights inclusive)|
|Full Stay||15 June 2020 - 15 August 2020|
|Short Stay #||15 June 2020 - last night as indicated by applicant in application|
No requests for early check-in or late check-out will be entertained. All residents in Summer 2020 with full period of residence are required to check-out of the hall no later than 12noon, 16 August 2020.
# Applicants may choose to apply for a shorter period ending on or before 31 July 2020 (night inclusive) by indicating their preferred end dates of the summer residence (night inclusive) in their online hall applications. Further extension will NOT be considered once the preferred last day of summer period is confirmed. Applicants who wish to apply for a shorter period ending after 31 July 2020 (night inclusive) will be considered as applying for the entire summer residence till 15 August 2020 (night inclusive).
Summer residence is offered in the following priority:
1. Applicants with academic engagements in Summer 2020
- Summer Course
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP)
- Industrial Training
- Program Required Internship (credit-bearing / graduating requirement)
2. Applicants without academic engagements in Summer 2020 as listed in (1)
3. Applicants who are graduating
In case the demand exceeds supply, applicants under each priority will be further prioritized with a system generated random number. Applicants should aware that the bed spaces available for summer are limited, and should plan ahead for arranging their own accommodation if necessary in case they are not offered a hall place in summer.
|Online Hall Application||To be confirmed|
Submission of Proof
(for applicants with academic engagements)
Applicants will receive further notice
if submission of proof is required
|Release of Hall Application Results||To be confirmed|
|Online Acceptance of Hall Offer||To be confirmed|
|Payment of Hall Charges *||To be confirmed|
* Separate payment schedule would be applied to students who opt for short stay in Summer 2020. Payment arrangements would be detailed in the hall offer letters.
To be confirmed
[for request in change of submitted information, write to firstname.lastname@example.org within the application period; requests are subject to approval]
Hall Offer Acceptance Period
To be confirmed
Means of Application & Acceptance of Hall Offer
https://www.ab.ust.hk/applyhall > "Click here to submit application for Summer Residence"
Students who fail to submit the hall application within this application period will NOT be considered for student accommodation for the ENTIRE Summer Residence 2020.
Applicants who is granted a hall offer will receive a system generated hall offer acceptance notification email the day after the Hall Offer Letters are sent and they are required to follow instructions to confirm their acceptance of offer online within 4 days. Failure to complete the online acceptance by the deadline will result in cancellation of hall offer without further notification.
NOTE TO STUDENTS CURRENTLY ON LEAVE OF STUDY / EXCHANGE:
Students who wish to apply for student accommodation for Summer Residence are required to submit a hall application within the aforementioned application period regardless of their registration status during the application period; no hall places will be reserved for those who fail to submit their hall applications by the application deadline.
Application Results (e.g. hall offers for successful applicants, notifications for waitlisted / rejected applicants, etc.) will be announced in Early May 2020 and such result will be sent to applicants' HKUST ITSC email addresses.
It is the responsibility of the applicants to check with the Student Housing and Residential Life Office either in person or write to email@example.com if they do not receive any notifications by Early of May 2020.
Applicants who indicated that they will have academic engagements (i.e. summer course, Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP), industrial training or program required internship) in the online application for summer residence would be required to submit relevant proofs to the Student Housing and Residential Life Office only if necessary.
Examples of the documents required are:
- SIS screenshot showing the enrollment of summer courses
- Document of acceptance for UROP
- Proof from ITC or Screenshot from ITC website showing enrollment of industrial training
- Proof of internship with relevant information showing that internship is credit-bearing or is a graduating requirement
If students are required to submit relevant documents to substantiate the claim on academic engagements, they will be informed of the arrangements and requirements in their hall offer letters and/or in separate cover. Failure to submit the required supporting documents before the deadline if required will result in cancellation of hall offer without further notification.
The hall charges for the ENTIRE Summer Residence 2020 covering the period from 4 June 2020 to 15 August 2020 (both nights inclusive) are listed below for reference. The charges are currently under review and pending for approval from the University.
|Room Type||Available In||Charge (HK$)|
|Local Students||Non-Local Students|
|Double Room||UG Halls I, II, III, IV, VI||3,810||4,686|
|UG Halls VII, VIII, IX||4,725||5,811|
|Triple Room||UG Halls II, III, IV, VI||2,862||3,522|
- Non-local students are those holding student visas / Entry Permits to study in HKUST.
- Hall charges listed exclude air-conditioning and laundry charges. Room type(s) available depends on the hall allocated to successful applicants under the hall allocation mechanism; there are no room type selection / preferences in the hall application.
- Hall charges for successful applicants with shorter residence will be adjusted from the listed charges on pro-rata basis.
Hall charges must be paid in FULL and are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Provided that applicants who have received the hall offers have completed the required procedures before the deadlines (e.g. acceptance of hall offer), hall charges post and due date are as follows #:
|Charge Post Date||Charge Due Date|
|To be confirmed||To be confirmed|
# Only applicable to those who have received a hall offer in the main round hall offer
Students may login to SIS via myPortal at http://my.ust.hk (under Student Centre) to view the charge statement and settle the charges by the payment due date. Please also be advised to keep a copy of the payment record in case there are any problems with the payment. Students with financial difficulty may apply for payment deferment to the Scholarships and Financial Aid Office.
Details of the payment methods accepted by the University are available here.
Failure to settle the hall charges before the deadline will result in cancellation of hall offer without prior notification.
For Current Residents whose Residential Period in Spring 2020 Ends After 3 June 2020
Successful applicants who are current hall residents in Spring 2020 will be assigned to their current hall and room in Spring 2020 subject to availability. Otherwise, they will be assigned to other floors/room of the halls in their hall offers in Spring 2020. If demand exceeds supply or due to unavailability of their current hall in Spring 2020, they will be assigned to any available hall on a random basis.
For Non-Current Residents in Spring 2020
Successful applicants who are non-current hall residents in Spring 2020 will be assigned to their newly assigned halls in their hall offers in the Fall Term of Residential Year 2020/21 (if applicable) subject to availability. Otherwise, they will be assigned to any available hall on a random basis.
No room preferences and single rooms will be available for this application. Rooms will be assigned by the Student Housing and Residential Life Office randomly.
General check-in/out procedures are available here.
Special Check-in Arrangements for Residents in Spring 2020
STAYING IN SAME ROOM for Summer
At any time from 4 to 10 June 2020, approach the Hall Office and
- Sign on Spring 2020 check-out documents, then
- Sign on Summer 2020 check-in documents.
General check-in procedures (e.g. 2 passport size photos, completing documents, etc.) is still required. Failure to complete the sign in/out procedure on or before 10 June 2020 will result in cancellation of summer hall place without further notice.
RELOCATING TO ANOTHER HALL / ROOM
Following procedures / steps in room relocation applies. At any time from 4 to 10 June 2020,
- Check on the availability of the newly assigned room at the lobby of the newly assigned hall.
- If newly assigned room is confirmed available for you to move in, move out from your original room and complete check-out procedures, e.g. sign on documents, return keys, etc. (obtain a “Check-Out Confirmation Slip” if moving to another hall)
- Present the “Check-Out Confirmation Slip” to the staff at the newly assigned hall for check-in.
General check-in procedures (e.g. 2 passport size photos, completing documents, etc.) is still required. Failure to complete the relocation procedure on or before 10 June 2020 will result in cancellation of summer hall place without further notice.
For those who are unable to complete the relocation procedures by 10 June 2020, they are required to
- First clear the room and check-out from their residence in Spring 2020, then
- Check-in to the newly assigned room in Summer 2020 when available (and no later than 10 June 2020)
If the resident concerned does not comply with this arrangement, Hall Attendants may clear all personal belongings from the room of the resident concerned and neither the University nor the Hall Management will be responsible for any loss or damage of personal properties arising from such action. Availability for relocation to the assigned new room in Summer 2020 may be affected by the check-out date / relocation schedule of previous resident, and that relocation could not be done unless the new room assigned in Summer 2020 is vacant. Applicants are advised to make themselves available throughout the whole relocation period (i.e. till 10 June 2020).
Hall applicants who do not receive a hall offer for Summer Residence 2020 will be placed on the waiting list. Waiting list ranking will be available after the result is announced.
General admission procedures (e.g. acceptance of hall offer) still apply and are required to be completed by the applicants receiving top-up offers within the deadlines indicated in the hall offers. Schedule of procedures for those receiving top-up offers differ from the schedule announced above.
Failure in completing in any of the required procedures within deadlines shall result in cancellation of hall offers.
Ranking in the waiting list is done according to the random number generated by the system. The waiting list will be updated after each round of top-up.
Students MUST have
- a valid residence in Summer 2020 till 15 August 2020 (night inclusive), AND
- a valid residence in Fall 2020 starting from 28 August 2020, AND
- genuine need for accommodation during period from 16 to 27 August 2020 (no home base in HK / involved in academic engagements)
Residential Period & Allocation of Rooms
- Residence covers the period from 16 to 27 August 2020 (nights inclusive); no adjustment will be considered.
- All students who have accepted the offered residence are committed to the residence arrangement and are liable for the hall charges incurred regardless of their actual nights of stay.
- This residence is fee-paying. Extra hall charges will be calculated on a nightly rate basis with reference to the room assigned in Summer 2020. Detailed payment methods and the payment schedule would be announced in separate cover.
- Those with offered residence is only entitled to have accommodation arrangement in HKUST student halls but not automatically entitled to any specific room assignment for any specific period. Refer to below for details on room relocation arrangements.
Relocation Arrangement (for those assigned to different rooms in Summer 2020 & Fall 2020)
- Residents with different room assignments in Summer 2020 & Fall 2020 are requried to move between rooms IN PERSON ON SPECIFIED DATES as instructed by SHRL due to tight room schedule.
- Relocation schedule (usually a 2-day period) would depend on the available date of the new room in Fall 2020, and it will take place some time within the period from 16 to 27 August 2020.
- Residents are expected to make themselves available throughout the period from 16 to 27 August 2020 for the relocation. Those who are unsure of their plans should NOT apply for such residence.
- Residents will NOT be able to opt for their preferred relocation date and time (if relocation is required) due to Orientation Camp schedule constraints.
- Follow-up actions (e.g. penalty charges, room clearance and cancellation of any future offered residence) by the Hall Management will apply for those who fail to cope with the relocation arrangements.
- Students concerned will receive application information by email
- Application period: To be confirmed
- Eligible students can refer to the application invitation email for details
- Application results and any other related information (e.g. room relocation schedule, if applicable) will be announced by early August 2020.
If students are interested in living outside of HKUST campus, they may approach the Off-Campus Housing Section of the Student Housing and Residential Life Office at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Information on off-campus accommodation is also available online.
Personal information collected from applicants will be used for the admission exercise for hall residence, related hall activities and hall residence related matters, and kept as resident records for administrative purposes.